Langley Presbyterian Session Report – APRIL 9, 2017
Session met last on March 31/17
- Developing Legacy Giving Ministry in Your Congregation – we viewed a powerpoint presentation which had been presented March 23 by Janice Meighan (Stewardship & Planned Giving Dept) The Presbyterian Church in Canada. Details to follow.
- We will hold communion by intinction during our Good Friday service this year.
- Treasurer Larry Eastwood reported that as of February month end statements, our deficit was an insignificant $62 not the budgeted amount of $3,000. Due to the many items that must be paid for early in the year a budgetary deficit is normal. We thank God that our deficit is well below what we expected it to be.
- Session is in the process of developing a Designated Gift Policy for Langley Pres., so we do not find ourselves in the position of having money on hand that we are unable to use because it was given under an inappropriate designation.
- In order to expedite the process of paying our bills (so we can avoid late payment charges) the Rev. Rebecca Simpson who is the minister at St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church in Mission, has been given cheque-signing authority for our chequing account. Sean Brouwer a past member of our congregation has been removed from the list of those with cheque signing authority. As it now stands every cheque written on our account must be signed by any two of the following people: Trevor Fowler, Allie Dale-Johnson, Marg Garratt, Audrey McGregor, Rebecca Simpson & Larry Eastwood. In the interest of full disclosure it is noted that the Rev. Rebecca Simpson is our minister’s daughter.
- Session is planning to hold an election of elders in the near future. As per our practice the congregation will be given opportunity to nominate to session, the names of those members of the church, who they feel have demonstrable gifts for eldership. As per church polity, the session is responsible for granting final approval of all nominations.
- A list of serving elders and the people they serve will be posted on our bulletin board in the near future.
- It was reported from Presbytery that the pastoral tie between Calvin Presbyterian and the Rev. Dr. Blair Bertrand has been severed. The Rev. Dr. Bob Paul, Dean of St. Andrew’s Hall will serve Calvin as their Interim Moderator during their vacancy. Please pray for the people of Calvin and for Bob.
- An arborist has diagnosed several of the trees in our back property as being potential windfall hazards. We are awaiting a quote from a tree faller and will proceed to remove the hazardous trees over the course of the next months; starting with the ones that pose the largest risk of falling onto our neighbours’ property.
- Session approved the gifting of our Good Friday offering to Hummingbird Ministries, which is a 1st Nations Ministry of our presbytery led by the Rev. Mary Fontaine.