Langley Presbyterian Church has been a part of the Brookswood area of Langley for over 30 years.
We are a “just-right” sized church: small enough that you won’t get lost in the crowd, but big enough to carry out a variety of ministries. We have a nursery and KidBLAST (Bible Learning At Stations) Sunday School for children, Bible studies, seasonal choirs, instrumental music ensembles and worship teams. We support a variety of mission and outreach organizations right here in our community – including the Langley Food Bank – and across the globe through Presbyterian World Service and Development.
“Presbyterian” means that we are part of the Reformed tradition of Protestant Christianity. Our beliefs can be summed up in the Apostle’s Creed. The Bible inspires and guides us in what we believe and how we live. Our worship gives us an opportunity to praise, listen, and respond to God.
We celebrate baptism and communion as visible expressions of the good news that Jesus announces to the world as a way to help us follow him. We believe that our faith in God is alive in serving others.
We want to become a multi-generational community of faith, gifted by God to serve the community of Langley, especially children and their families.
Langley Presbyterian Church’s roots extend back to 1890, with the construction of a landmark building known today as Sharon United Church in Murrayville. In 1925, following the union of Methodist, Congregationalist and Presbyterian denominations to form the United Church of Canada, a sizeable portion of families elected to become “Continuing Presbyterians” and established a new congregation and building on 216A Street in Murrayville. By the 1970’s it became evident that those facilities were not large enough to serve a growing congregation in a developing Langley. And so, on November 6, 1977, 25 people gathered in Langley Civic Centre for the very first service of a new congregation created by the amalgamation of the Murrayville and Langley Presbyterian churches. A year later, on Nov. 19, 1978, Langley Presbyterian Church was officially formed and in the spring of 1982 our present building was dedicated for service. The congregation supports other ministries in the community and throughout the world.